Sunday, April 18, 2010

Succumbing to the Call of Social Media

Personally, I detest and reject the concept of using social media for my own inter-personal socializing; at least not to the extent that I’ve seen or heard about. The occasional email or contact between friends and family helps, as do interactions over great distances help people stay connected. But to spend any of my extracurricular time on the computer is an appalling concept to me – there I said it!!

Having said that, I’ve turned the corner and finally submitted to the call of the social media kingdom, for the purpose of academic and professional development, as I am increasingly aware of the need to be engaged on behalf of the organisation for which I work and as a member of a society that does not look back for stragglers.

I feel it is important to learn these new communication tools in my professional and academic growth. While I was slow in adapting to these new tools early on in this PR & Technology course, I feel more comfortable with it now and must admit I am thankful for the additional push; I've been meaning to try out Twitter for a while now and know it is necessary for my communications practice and knowledge level for communication strategy and implementation. We can't just expect our web communication teams to do it for us; it's necessary for us as communicators to learn and understand by doing as well as planning. We too must enter the social media realm to engage our audiences, monitor issues and feedback, provide updates and information, and guide our organisations and publics.

My initial reaction to Twitter was one of discomfort and even fear, not completely understanding what was going on. I'm still not 100% sure I know now, however I am getting the hang of it and plan to continue on my journey of learning in TweetLand.

The introduction to blogging and interacting with others' blogs was most surprising and fascinating to me. I quite enjoyed the process, the exchange of ideas and information. I see the opportunity for otherwise silent voices to speak up and I don't mean just self-serving information, but rather, similar to Twitter, providing helpful additions and insights to community discussions. I see it as an extension to academic thought and shared experience.

While on a personal level with family and friends, I will still continue to prefer face-to-face interaction and community, I plan to continue my journey of learning with these social media tools, if not for self-preservation in the communications field, then for an exchange of thought-provoking insights, tips and support to and from colleagues, fellow students, academics, and occasionally friends.

6 comments:

  1. The internet, while connecting people virtually disconnects them physically. Nowadays people seem more concerned about what is going on in the cyber world than in reality.

    Initially, from a psychological point of view, I thought that this must be a bad thing. But maybe I am wrong, maybe the internet provides those without much opportunity for interaction, with a new option?

    Personally, like Nadia, I prefer to keep my socializing off line, although I do admit to having a facebook and twitter account…purely for academic research purposes though!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that some personal issues should remain offline. As regards our professional development I think it is important to know at least the basics of social media. And I am absolutely sure this module taught us a lot. I am also glad we all had the chance to talk with each other on different online platforms:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katherine and Ralu for your comments! It seems as though we'd all agree that there's a time and place for everything; and when something doesn't feel right, then we just don't go there - whether online or in the real world.

    As you say Ralu, this module helped to connect us, which was a particularly difficult thing for those of us in the part-time online programme. From what I gather, some of us were feeling a bit isolated and these social media assignments have certainly helped us to not only learn these new tools and form of communication, but also to get advice and support from one another. It's also nice to put a face to a name, so thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting point of view Nadia.

    I think social media is what you make of it. Nobody is forcing people to tell the world every personal detail about their lives. Unfortunately, many people don't fully understand the power of the Internet and just how wide the audience is, and can't stop themselves from posting everything and anything about their lives.

    Social media platforms make it easier to connect with others and learn of things you might have not had a chance to see otherwise. It also gives you an option of how much you immerse yourself in it. You can be totally passive and still reap the benefits or you can broadcast your life and everything in it to the world.

    Think about it, many people love the attention and social media provides them with a validation of achievement (in their minds) that would have been totally unattainable otherwise.

    I'm not saying that it doesn't have negative impacts, but it does give you control over what you put out and thus what others can learn about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just read some research by Wellman, Haase, Witte, & Hampton, 2001 claiming that online interactions may supplement or replace person-to-person interactions, thereby justifying the time spent online. Another piece of research conducted by Hampton & Wellman, 2003; Kavanaugh, Carroll, Rosson, Zin, & Reese, 2005 concludes that social networking site interactions have a positive effect on personal and community interaction. Maybe social media sites do not disconnect people after all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say, the more I log in to our blogs and Twitter, the more I am appreciating the connection and benefits that come with it. Kasia and Katherine, your arguments are increasingly ringing true to my social media experience.

    ReplyDelete